There are two ways you can adopt a greyhound from Greyhounds as Pets WA (GAP). One option is a straight adoption. In this model, you are adopting a greyhound that has passed its green collar assessment and spent a minimum of four weeks in foster care. This option is suitable for people who want their greyhound to have some experience in home life, such as being exposed to other animals, household appliances, and everyday routines.
The other path to adoption is to foster with the view to adopt. In the foster-to-adopt model, your greyhound will have passed its green collar assessment but will have spent little or no time in a home environment. In this option, you act as the foster carer for a period of four weeks, helping your greyhound transition to home life. After four weeks, we process the adoption.
Read more about the two options below.
By taking the straight adoption path you are adopting a greyhound that has passed its green collar assessment and spent a minimum of four weeks in foster care. This option is suitable for people who want to know their greyhound has experience with a range of environments and situations such as being introduced to cats or other types of animals.
You can download a copy of the comprehensive manual all adoptees receive as part of the adoption process here.
The adoption fee for all our greyhounds is $200 which includes a dog that is vet-checked, vaccinated, microchipped, de-sexed, and wormed, with updated dental care.
Here are the steps for straight adoption:
- Fill in the online application which tells us everything we need to know about you and your lifestyle.
- Wait patiently as we match you to your perfect greyhound.
- Your greyhound will come de-sexed, vaccinated, microchipped and vet checked.
- You will receive a lead, collar, worming treatment and a comprehensive document outlining your greyhound’s history and personality.
- We offer a 28 day ‘road test’ period for you to see if the greyhound fits with your family. During this period, you can return the greyhound for a 50 per cent refund of the adoption price. Our adoption fee is $200.
- GAP will provide you with a high level of support both during and after the adoption, with access to an animal behaviourist if needed.
- Should the situation arise where you need to find your greyhound a new home, regardless of the amount of time passed since the adoption, please contact GAP for assistance. GAP is committed to ensuring that the greyhound has a suitable home throughout life.
The foster-to-adopt model is a great option for people new to greyhounds and wanting to see if a greyhound will suit their family. It is almost a ‘try before you buy’ option and during the foster period we supply everything you need for your greyhound. We only process the adoption fee after the foster period. Foster-to-adopt is also a great option for people wanting to start training their greyhound from day dot.
Note: While your greyhound is in foster and until you have physically received your green collar from GAP your greyhound will be required to wear a muzzle when in public.
If you have decided you are interested in fostering, we would love to have you on board as one of our valued foster carers. Fostering is a great way of spending more of a temporary time period with a hound and help them in the transition towards life as a pet. We have a very supportive foster network and appreciate the importance of these carers in enriching greyhounds’ lives.