In a foster-to-adopt model, your greyhound will have had its green collar assessment but will have spent little or no time in a home environment. You act as the foster carer for four weeks, helping your greyhound transition to home life. We process the adoption at the end of that time.
The foster-to-adopt path is a great option for people new to greyhounds and wanting to see if a greyhound will suit their family. It is like a ‘try before you buy’ model and, during the foster period, we supply everything you need for your greyhound and only process the adoption fee after the four-week foster period. Foster-to-adopt is also a great option for people wanting to start training their greyhound from day one.
Note: While your greyhound is in foster and until you have physically received your green collar from GAP, your greyhound will be required to wear a muzzle when in public.
You can download a copy of the comprehensive manual all adoptees receive as part of the adoption process here.
The following outlines the steps for our Foster to Adopt option:
- Fill in the online application, which tells us everything we need to know about you and your lifestyle.
- Wait patiently as we match you to a greyhound most suited to your family.
- Your greyhound comes vaccinated, microchipped and vet checked. Greyhounds in foster care can be booked into one of our supporting vet clinics to be de-sexed. GAP covers all costs associated with this vet visit.
- As a foster carer, you will receive dry dog food, lead, collar, worming treatment and a comprehensive document outlining your greyhounds’ history and personality
- If you decide the greyhound is not the right fit for your family during the four week foster period you can return it to our kennels or try a different greyhound that may be more suited.
- The adoption will be processed after the four week period. Our adoption fee is $350.
- Green Collar issued.
- GAP will provide you with a high level of support both during and after the adoption, with access to our Animal Behaviourist if needed.
- Should the situation arise where you need to find your greyhound a new home, regardless of the amount of time passed since the adoption, please contact GAP for assistance. GAP is committed to ensuring that the greyhound has a suitable home for the entirety of its life.